Tuesday 7 May 2013

Peckham 10k

In the past a 10k run was easily a comfortable distance before the bronchitis set in and seemed to bring my standard down to walking up the stairs to my flat.

I also have to admit that in the past I would scoff at the thought of taking the time to run a 10k, I never realised but I must have been incredibly snooty to think nothing less than a half marathon is worth bothering with. I am pleased to have proved myself very wrong, running 6.25 miles is tough! It took nearly all the strength I had, I came to the finish line with very little left in the tank so I'll never underestimate the majesty 10k again.

Thankfully my very snobby outlook has changed for the better. I had no idea what my time would be, I was more enthusiastic about covering the distance post illness and just build up my stamina slowly, so I was really pleased to find both legs AND lungs held out on the day, finishing in just under an hour, literally with seconds to spare... like 8 seconds!


I know I've got a lot of work to do to beat my goal of a sub 2 hour half marathon - the deadline for this is Run to the Beat in September but I feel like I'm in a good place.
I was also delighted with my medal, not quite the Brighton Marathon medal I was gunning for earlier in the year but this one made my week.

No comments:

Post a Comment