Thursday 25 April 2013

Bouncing Back

Last night I was watching an old episode of I'm Alan Partridge featuring the launch of Alan's formidable memoir Bouncing Back. It chronicled his return to form after a nervous breakdown and Toblerone induced obesity.

As I sat watching I could not help but feel a special bond between Partridge and I. After a month of bronchitis I suffered coughing, spluttering and a general feeling of uselessness. Rest was prescribed so in went the hot lemon and honey and out went running, Bikram yoga and cardio at the gym. There was a small matter of the Brighton marathon that had to go too - after all that training in the snow, I was crushed.

While I didn't suffer a nervous breakdown I did convince myself Toblerones were a credible ingredient to add to the recovery mix, which turned to fat, resulting in a number of my favourite dresses that currently do not fit. I realised during this time how much exercise means to me and what a great part it plays in my life. It can determine quality of sleep, stress levels, concentration, well being and generally what will fit me on a day to day basis.

Without all of this I was a little lost. But last night was different. Last night I put on my kit and went for a run

I ran two miles; and I think they were the most exhausting two miles in a very long time. And it took a while, but I didn't care about that, I was elated at the fact that I finally garnered the strength to get up and run.

It has been the most important two miles of my year, why is this important? Well to quote Partridge himself "because I've bounced back, people bounce back." And that is what I feel I have done.

Yesterday was square one and I was so happy to be there. This year I am aiming for a sub two hour half marathon and a full marathon later in the year, I'm also planning to shed the 14 pounds hanging off my hips asap.

On with the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment